This year’s Summit is centered on the theme of Water. At the Summit, we will explore issues impacting Nebraska's water and how we can act to ensure water sustainability now and in the future.
1:00 Registration & Welcome
2:00 Panel Discussion: Managing Water for the Future: Urban and Rural Development Needs
3:00 Breakout session 1:
- Climate Change & Drought
- Managing Water quality in Nebraska
4:00 Breakout session 2:
- Intersections of Water, Agriculture, and Energy
- Water Governance & Policy
5:00 Hors d'oeuvres and networking
6:30 Keynote Speaker: Dr. Peter Gleick
7:45 Cocktail hour
Why You Won’t Want to Miss The 2015 Nebraska Conservation Summit:
- The event features twelve of Nebraska’s top water experts, providing you with the chance to learn, ask questions, and discuss solutions.
- Our Keynote Presenter is Dr. Peter Gleick, known world-wide as a leading expert, innovator, and communicator on water and climate issues. He has literally written the book on water (multiple, actually), and he travels across the globe to discuss the most pressing water issues in any given locale.
- Networking opportunities and a cocktail hour have been incorporated into the event, providing you with the opportunity to meet with other Nebraskans who care about water sustainability.
- You will discover action steps that you can take as an individual to help ensure water sustainability now and in the future.
Included in our line-up of speakers leading the afternoon panel discussions and breakout sessions are:
Dr. Don Wilhite, Professor, Applied Climate Science, School of Natural Resources, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL). Previously, Wilhite directed UNL’s School of Natural Resources and was the founding director of both the National Drought Mitigation Center and the International Drought Information Center
Dr. Ann Bleed, Adjunct Professor, School of Natural Resources, UNL;
Former Director, Nebraska Department of Natural Resources; Board Member, Lower Platte South Natural Resources District
Dr. Nicholas Brozović, Economist; Water for Food Institute Director of Policy; Associate professor of agricultural economics within the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at UNL
Roric Paulman, Sutherland NE producer; Board Chair, Nebraska Water Balance Alliance; Member, 2013 Water Funding Task Force; Chair, West Central Water Coalition
Joe Wahlgren, Brady, NE Producer; Board Member, Twin Platte Natural Resources District
Brian Barels, Nebraska Public Power District Water Resources Manager
Joel Christensen, Vice President of Water Operations for the Metropolitan Utilities District of Omaha
Dr. Alan Kolok, Director, Aquatic Toxicology Laboratory, University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO); Director, Nebraska Watershed Network; Interim Director, UNMC’s Center for Environmental Health and Toxicology
Jeff Fassett, Director of the Nebraska Department of Natural Resources
Marty Link, Associate Director, Water Quality Division, Nebraska Dept of Environmental Quality
Amy Schmidt, Livestock Bioenvironmental Engineer at the University of Nebraska
Based in Lincoln, but serving a statewide membership, the Nebraska League of Conservation Voters and the Nebraska Conservation Education Fund work to defend and strengthen the laws that safeguard the wellness of our communities and the beauty of our great state. We envision an engaged citizenry and a sustainable Nebraska. We enjoy strong community and regional partnerships that allow us to achieve this vision, and we hope you will join us at the Nebraska Conservation Summit!